My parents had nine children—eight boys and finally a girl. I was their seventh son. These are the stories from my life that I want to share with my children and their children and so on down until the end of time. I am grateful for the great goodness of my God and acknowledge His tender mercies in my life.

Friday, April 10, 2009

Read aloud

One of the defining spiritual experiences of my life occurred early in the summer of 1968 as I was preparing for my mission. My freshman year at Brigham Young University had ended, and I returned home to Idaho. I was horribly homesick for Provo. I felt as empty as I've ever been in my life. Before or since. I really missed BYU and the people and the experiences I had had there. For a week it continued.

One morning after especially earnest pleading with the Lord to comfort me and lift me out of my depression, a voice softly suggested: "Read aloud." I do not know if I heard the voice in my mind or in my ears. It seemed at the time as real as if someone were in my bedroom with me.

Read what aloud? But no answer.

I felt moved to turn to the Book of Mormon. I thumbed through its pages, not knowing what I was looking for, until I reached a passage that jumped out at me as if it were in type twice the size of any other verse on the page. Its message entered with considerable force into my soul: "For the eternal purposes of the Lord shall roll on, until all his promises shall be fulfilled" (Mormon 8:22).

Those brief words said everything that was necessary for me: The Lord was mindful of me and my needs. His work would move forward. He was inviting me to participate if I desired. He loved me and had the best in store for me in the context of His all-knowing economy, even if I could not understand what all of His plans and purposes might be.

No comments:

Post a Comment